Monday, October 09, 2006

A slightly surprising weekend


The Girl and I had planned to do very little this weekend, except for a bit of hypothetical house-hunting, because I'm still not feeling up to running around or being too busy. So we're driving back from the area of London that we're considering moving to in April, and The Girl is stressed out from all the sitting in non-stop traffic that she's been doing recently, and I'm stressed out because that's what I'm like, and she says "Let's go to Cambridge."

This was at about 2pm. By 4pm, we'd booked a B&B, taken a train and were wandering around the city. It's very nice. It's somewhere I've always wanted to live, once I get sick of London (which I know will happen at some point in the next few years). We didn't do anything particularly exciting there - looked around, did some work in a cafe, had dinner out, nearly went to the cinema but didn't quite make it, visited King's College because it was there... It was just really good to get out of London for a day-and-a-half and do something different. So that's that.

We learnt on the train back that we talk far too loudly when we're very involved with something. The Girl is taking a unit on directing Shakespeare, so we're discussing Macbeth, the Elizabethan historical context and related issues a lot. While we were debating a point relating to Taming of the Shrew, the woman in the seat in front of us turned around and contributed to our discussion. She turned out to be a history postgrad from Cambridge with a particular interest in literary history. She was very interesting. We are going to talk more quietly in future. Although, as The Girl pointed out, at least we're usually discussing something quite impressive-sounding when we start getting vocal.

I am in no way inclined to do any work today. I might see if my fourth cup of tea helps with that.

No comments: