Saturday, December 23, 2006

WARNING: contains seasonal greetings.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is on! Oh, so good.

I had a little burst of energy this afternoon, so I've wrapped all my presents very beautifully. Now I'm considering whether I can cope with cleaning the flat. I haven't cleaned in about two weeks. I don't think I've ever lived in this much of a mess before. :/

I went into work yesterday for a few hours (and that was exhausting enough) to talk to HR about going back part-time. They want me to go down to four days a week on a temporary basis, on full pay because of sickness. I'm really quite worried about this, as it feels a bit like I'm conning them. I would prefer to go part-time permanently, and be paid for only four days, as I don't think I'm going to be well enough to be full time again until at least the end of the academic year - I have no idea when I'll be better, but from what the doctors are suggesting, it doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon. No one else at work seems to be in favour of this, though, so I suppose I'll see how it goes. I'd rather not to have to worry about it, but there you go.

Tomorrow is both Christmas Eve and the Fourth Sunday in Advent, which very rarely happens, so it's all very exciting (for those of us who love the ritual and ceremony). I shall go to my own church in the morning, then I'm meeting The Girl at the airport and we're off to my dad's in Darkest Hampshire, and then we'll do Midnight Mass at a church near him. Should be fun. Then it's Christmas Day with him and his partner, and then Boxing Day in Reading with the sister, the brother-in-law and the mother (who has reached new heights of panic about my diagnoses - it's almost funny). Mostly, I will be getting bundled up into The Girl's car and driven places, which is fine by me. I am feeling frighteningly festive (ooh, alliteration) this year. This really isn't like me, especially considering current circumstances (there it is again - I'm just a Yuletide poet, me). I'd like to say it's because I've become a cheerier person in the last year, but it may also be the pain medication. :D

And since I may not get to post again before all the crazy travelling starts, Happy Christmas, all! Alternatively, Happy Belated Hanukkah, Merry Yule, Have A Pleasant Winter Festival, or Enjoy Getting-Pissed Day. Take your pick of greeting and have a good 'un.

All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"—which means, "God with us." - Matthew 1:22-23

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and The Girl a great holiday, many spoons, and lots of pudding, ice cream and pie to dig into with said spoons.

shoe

aidanrad said...

Ah, accept alliteration as a glorious gift, a linguistic luxury to be put into practice, regularly and robustly...

Sounds like a lovely Christmas in store - enjoy...!

Spitting said...

Hope you get to unwrap some great things too xxx