Wednesday, March 15, 2006

There's stress, but there's also pudding


Yes, well.

The day started badly when I left the house at 8am and didn't get to work until 10, as we were rerouted past my station and through several others on account of a 'defective train'.

Then, because asking to use my lunch hour for lunch would have been just plain rude, I had to sit through a 1pm meeting about an intensely stressful week that's coming up at work. And it only served to increase the stress. Suffice it to say that everyone in my staffroom wants to kill either each other or themselves; both, in many cases. I, due to recent illness, do not have to take part in the activities that are causing such episodes of insanity for everyone else. I am still losing my mind.

After some teaching (sometimes I remember that's my actual job), there was another meeting at which my students' coursework results were disparaged by someone more important than me. The results are not finalised yet, but they look extremely good - and last year mine were the best of seven classes. I still managed to feel belittled. Interesting.

Because I haven't stopped working since Monday morning, except to eat and sleep (and not much of that), I decided that I would have an evening off. The volume of work I have to do in the next two weeks is still scaring me, but I have managed to switch off. A bit. You can probably tell.

On the good side of things, the highlight of my day was a particularly delicious pudding. Glass? Half empty? Of course not...


Did you get our calls?
Are you still punching walls?
I don't see you around no more
By and by it's gone - but not if you rewind it...

Currently on repeat: Morning Runner

No comments: