Monday, January 17, 2011

...And Sometimes Things Work Like They Should



It's only a little victory, but in the midst of all the struggle for services, I am happy this morning. Disabled Students' Allowance has paid for a second desk in my study (my own desk has a bad setup that hurts my neck and subluxes my shoulders) and a stand so that I can use my laptop/read in bed. They came to set the equipment up today. Compared to other battles to get what I need and am entitled to, this has been relatively easy to arrange. And it will make such a difference to the amount of work I can do. Being able to work properly in bed will be so exciting.

The fight with Access to Work continues, but incredibly, I might actually be getting there with them. They've moved on from the fifteen pages or so of details I had to write about my needs, and are now asking actually relevant things. I'll be unbelievably relieved if I win this one. The thought of not getting support and therefore never being able to teach again was utterly, appallingly terrifying.

New anti-depressant medication is starting to work. This is also a relief. I hope it continues to do so.

6 comments:

Never That Easy said...

Sometimes the littlest things make a big difference: I'm glad you're getting (some of) what you need!

Charles said...

I do agree. Sometimes you just have to hold on to anything you can. Keep it up girl!

Best Regards,
Charles

em said...

makes such a differene getting the right tools. good luck with the meds. x

Cara Liebowitz said...

Hey Lilwatchergirl, what's the theme/deadline for the February Disability Blog Carnival? I'm itching to get started on my post! :)

Naomi J. said...

Hi SpazGirl,

Deadline is 20th Feb, so that I can get them up by 25th. I was trying to canvass for a theme, as I am not very creative, but am a bit short of suggestions at the moment! I'm thinking about something media/entertainment related though. Let me know if you have any ideas. I'll have details up by the end of the weekend.

Naomi J. said...

Spaz Girl: see here http://lilwatchergirl.blogspot.com/2011/01/ill-be-hosting-februarys-disability.html , and enjoy!